ANAB Webinar – Thursday, April 27, 2023 – 2:00pm to 3:00pm Eastern
Decrypting the Global Recognition System for Accreditation
This Webinar is intended for anyone who wants to understand the Global System for Accreditation
This presentation will explore the international organizations, systems, and standards that create a framework for global acceptance of accredited conformity assessment results. The complex interrelationships will be explained starting with conformity assessment bodies through the national, regional, and global levels, identifying the critical standards that are the basis for confidence in competence, impartiality, and consistency.
- The International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) are global arrangements among accreditation bodies that facilitate mutual recognition of the results of accredited conformity assessment.
- Regional cooperations facilitate the peer evaluation process that recognizes the competence of accreditation bodies, supporting ILAC and IAF as well as any additional regional needs.
- International standards published jointly by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) establish common requirements for conformity assessment bodies and activities, underpinning the global recognition systems.
- Conformity assessment bodies that are accredited by accreditation bodies that are signatories to regional and global arrangements benefit from worldwide acceptance of their results.
- Conformity assessment bodies
- Users of conformity assessment results
- Regulators or specifiers of accreditation
Vice President, Policy
ANSI National Accreditation Board
Warren Merkel is ANAB’s Vice President, Policy. He previously worked at the National Institute of Standards and Technology advising government agencies on the use of standards and conformity assessment, and served as co-convenor for the revision of ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO/IEC 17060.