ISO 22000: Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS)
What Is ISO 22000 Food Safety Management Systems Accreditation?
Food safety relates to the presence of food-borne hazards in food at the point of consumption. Because food safety hazards can be introduced at any stage of the food chain, adequate control throughout the food chain is essential. ISO 22000 specifies requirements for a food safety management system that combines interactive communication, system management, prerequisite program, and HACCP principles to ensure food safety along the food chain.
ISO 22000 is a base standard program in ANAB’s fee schedule.
Please refer to the information about the accreditation process at How to Become an ANAB-Accredited Certification Body.
You can view the ISO 22000 application in .pdf format to understand specific requirements but the application process must be completed online via ANAB’s EQM database; first-time EQM users must register to create an account.
Scoping for FSMS
ANAB requirements for scoping for FSMS are included in ANAB Accreditation Rule 22
ISO 22000 Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS)
- Accreditation Requirements for Management Systems CBs
- ANAB Accreditation Rule 22
- ISO 22003:2022 Requirement Matrix
Available from ANSI (with member discount):
- ISO 22000:2018 Food safety management systems – Requirements for any organization in the food chain
- ISO/TS 22002-1:2009, Prerequisite programmes on food safety – Part 1: Food manufacturing
- ISO/TS 22002-2:2013, Prerequisite programmes on food safety – Part 2: Catering
- ISO/TS 22002-3:2011, Prerequisite programmes on food safety – Part 3: Farming
- ISO/TS 22002-4:2013, Prerequisite programmes on food safety – Part 4: Food packaging
- ISO/TS 22002-5:2019, Prerequisite programmes on food safety – Part 5: Transport and storage
- ISO/TS 22002-6:2016, Prerequisite programmes on food safety – Part 6: Food and animal food production
- ISO/TS 22003:2013, Food safety management systems – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of food safety management systems
- ISO 22005:2007, Traceability in the feed and food chain – General principles and basic requirements for system design and implementation
Available from IAF:
- IAF MD 16:2015, Application of ISO/IEC 17011 for the Accreditation of Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS)
ISO 22000 specifies requirements for a food safety management system (FSMS) for any organization in the food chain.
Talk to an Expert
Associate Director of Accreditation, Management Systems
Food Safety, Quality, Anti-bribery, Compliance and Social Programs
Need Training To Support Your Accreditation Journey?
Register for a course to get in-depth instruction on accreditation-related requirements and processes. Learn at your own pace with online courses or choose an instructor led class offered online or in a convenient location.