The ANAB accreditation process consists of the following steps:
- Application: Organizations are invited to file GHG-FR-704: Application for Accreditation for GHG Validation/Verification Bodies.
- All information requested by ANAB, including the application forms and supporting documentation, shall be submitted in English.
- Before or during application for accreditation, a preliminary visit may be requested by the CAB or recommended by ANAB. ANAB and the CAB will determine the agenda for the visit.
- Document Review: ANAB conducts a desk review for all applications received. This is the review of the documentation received against ANAB's accreditation requirements and relevant requirements of the GHG program/registry in which the validation/verification body (V/VB) intends to participate.
- Witness Assessment: ANAB observes the V/VB performing tasks related to the validation and/or verification process for the related scope (or group of sectoral scopes) of accreditation for which it has applied. The purpose of the witness assessment is to assess whether the V/VB is carrying out validation/verification (V/V) activities in line with its documented quality manual and validation/verification processes and procedures. In addition, the witness is to assess the V/VB's capability to conform to applicable GHG program or registry requirements in which it intends to participate and also to assess the capacity of the V/VB's ability to perform validation/verification activities within the sectoral scope(s) applied for. Please review GHG-PR-706: ANAB GHG Validation and Verification Body Accreditation Scoping Policy to determine the required witness assessments for those scopes applied for.
- On-site Assessment: ANAB conducts a two- to three-day assessment at the site of the applicant V/VB's main office(s) to confirm whether the operational capability of the V/VB meets the requirements provided in the application materials, conforms to ISO 14065, ISO 14064-3, and relevant GHG programs/registries for which the applicant seeks accreditation. This assessment is to provide assurance that the V/VB has the capacity to perform the activities related to the scopes of accreditation for which it has applied. Only those sites of the V/VB where the on-site assessment took place shall receive the accreditation as an ANAB accredited V/VB.
- Corrective Action: During the course of the ANAB assessment process, the applicant V/VB may receive notice of nonconformance with one or more requirements within the standard or the applicable GHG program or registry. It is the responsibility of the V/VB to correct these nonconforming areas in order to be considered for accreditation. The ANAB assessment team will work with the applicant body in the posting, review, and closure of any nonconforming areas.
- Committee Review: Once the applicant has closed nonconformities to the satisfaction of the ANAB assessment team, the details of the assessment are presented to the GHG Validation/Verification Accreditation Committee (GVAC) for deliberation and an ultimate decision on initial accreditation.
- Accreditation: Accreditation is granted by the GVAC and the accredited V/VB operates its program in accordance with ANAB requirements and relevant GHG programs/registries in which it participates.
- Surveillance: Surveillance of accredited V/VBs provides confidence about the full implementation and effectiveness of the V/VBs system. The intent of regular surveillance is to assure stakeholders of the quality of the services provided. Surveillance occurs every year annually at the date of initial accreditation.
- Reassessment: Reassessment occurs three years after the initial date of accreditation and includes assessment activities similar to those performed in the initial assessment.
- For a flow chart that describes the ANAB Accreditation process, please click here.
- Please see the ANAB GHG Accreditation Program FAQs here.
During the above processes, CABs must provide payment via wire transfer, ACH (electronic transfer), credit card, or check. ANAB staff will provide information on applicable fees upon request.
Senior Director, Validation and Verification